Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Unsteady footing

Just when you think you have it all figured out, a little voice inside gradually grows louder until you find it hard to hear much else.

Today, after a month of deliberation, I withdrew from my graduate program. I can explain my reasoning. But I need some time first.

In other news, why is it almost Labor Day? I feel like this summer went by so incredibly fast. I have not made it to the pool once this summer. And my yard. Oh, my yard! There were so many big ideas for this summer. A fire pit. A garden. A Japanese maple. Planting grass in the giant hole, where there once stood a gigantic ugly tree stump. Pressure washing the stone facade. Installing house numbers. None of these things happened. I am waist-high in weeds--trying to let go of my inner perfectionist as I learn to be content with the chaos that surrounds me. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Kyla Roma said...

Oh sweetie! I hope that you're doing alright. Enjoy the chaos and try to ride it out- I'm excited to hear where you're laying the groundwork for a new path for yourself.

ps - school is so exhausting, I'm sure whatever you're working on will be a lot more fun :)

alyssa said...

I feel you on the WEEDS! My backyard is full of them too. Ugh, so much work! Totally feel your pain, house stuff takes way longer than you expect!

Sarah said...

Hope you are doin ok. i know you had your reasons, sometimes life takes interesting turns

Melissa Maris said...

I can't believe summer is almost gone, either!

Whatever your reasoning for dropping out of school, I'm sure it was the right thing to do. You have to trust your instincts on this kind of stuff!

HiTeach said...

Dropping out of grad school is probably a good decision. Most programs are really a waste of time unless you were really taking a specific training. Comes a time to live you life and enjoy on your own terms.

Anonymous said...

I had SO MANY plans for my back yard. But now it's to that point in the summer where I just don't care anymore. And the weeds - I'll try again next year. They can have this year.

Erin said...

Good luck darlin. I am sure everything will work out for you, and everything does happen for a reason. If you spent a month thinking about it, then it was the right choice. As for summer projects, I got to none of mine either. Boo.