Thursday, April 28, 2011

New Job, Same Blog

I have some good news to report. After starting to look for a new job last summer, I finally found a great opportunity with an institution that is excited to have me on their team.

After five years, I am leaving my first "big girl" job next Friday. Most of my coworkers are genuinely happy for me to take this next step in my career, but there are a few sour grapes around the office, unfortunately.

My new position is relatively similar to what I do now--public relations for a higher education institution in Pittsburgh. However, this new opportunity will offer me a chance to learn the ropes of event planning and some advertising. As someone who enjoyed fawning over which napkin color to use at my wedding, I think event planning will suit me well. I am most excited about the fact that I will also be the managing editor of the university's alumni magazine. My area of concentration in journalism school was magazine journalism--so I'm thrilled to get back to that interest.

While there are a few butterflies about making this transition, I am happy to join a team that seems to recognize potential that has gone untapped at my current job (through no fault of my own...)

Oh, and did I mention that my office will be in an old mansion? Do you think they will let me ride in the dumbwaiter?

One last thing, (thanks to my new job) I've decided to stay put on Cusp of Normal. If bullies want to keep reading, be my guest. Oh, and maybe try some sugar on those sour grapes, eh? :P

18 comments:

Megan said...

Double yay for your new job and staying put at the blog! Don't let the bullies get you down. And congrats on the new job-- keep us posted on the dumbwaiter rides. :)

Jessica said...

Congrats on the new job! That's great that you found something that's a blend of familiar and new, and where you can feel like you're taking a career step and growing. Very exciting!

michellewoo said...

Congrats! That sounds like an excellent position, especially with magazine editing!

Burgh Baby said...

Congrats! I'm glad everything worked out perfectly for you in the end. You deserve the good karma, for sure!

Kate.Stoltzfus said...

Yeah! Awesome. Congrats! Can't wait to hear more about the new job. And glad you will still be blogging at Cusp of Normal!

Becky said...

Congrats on the job! I'm so happy to hear you will be staying with Cusp of Normal. Cannot wait for more postings!

Megan said...

Congrats. I recently left my first "big girl" job, and things are going well.

I used to do a bit of event planning and I really love it. Event planners are some of my favorite people!

alyssa said...

Congrats on your new job, it sounds like you're going to be much happier :)

Uncle Crappy said...

I am awfully happy, for you and your new gig and for me, because I love this blog.

Melissa Maris said...

Congratulations! And how fun to be editing the magazine...and better yet riding the dumbwaiter! All sounds great.

Hillary said...

I am so excited for you! The new job sounds great and I think it's awesome that you are sticking around Cusp of Normal :)
OX!

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Congrats on your new job! Butterflies are normal but it sounds like the new gig is perfect for you!

Sarah said...

yay for you getting a job that appreciates you! and double yay for coming back tothe blogging world!

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

So excited for you!

That whole entire job sounds awesome. :)

I loved working at a university - though my stay was 2 years, not 5. ;) You are awesome!

Lauren said...

Yay! Such wonderful news! It sounds like this new job is perfect for you. It gives you a wider array of things to dip your feet into, and that's what keeps any job interesting. And the mansion just makes things better. So happy for you!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and have fun!

sarah marie p said...

Congrats on your new job! And hurray for the return of Cusp of Normal! Yippee!

saral said...

tiffany braceletswas the predominant metal used with gemstones. tiffany bangles was frequently decorated with three colors of tiffany bangle, discount tiffany jewelry. There was a definite wholesale tiffany jewelry and a rhythmic repetition of colors and shapes that were employed by the craftsman. tiffany silver braceletsplaced everything in alternating colors using cylindrical, spindles, disks and spheres.