Friday, March 20, 2009

Momma doesn't need a new pair of shoes

Twice a year I like to celebrate the segue from fall/winter clothes to spring/summer clothes and vice versa by spending way too much money on new clothes, shoes, and accessories. Two weeks ago, I bought 3 pairs (THREE!) of sandals, spent one third of my monthly salary at Ann Taylor Loft--and as if that's not enough damage to my checking account--I also bought this: It's a Vera Bradley bag from the Limited Edition Vintage Rose Collection. Close up of the fabric: I'm really not even a Vera Bradley type of person--I do already own one of her bags that has since been retired, but I received it as a gift. And I have only used it a handful of times. (As a toiletry bag when I travel... gasp. Sorry if I'm offending any Vera Bradley die-hards. She's just not usually my style.) Anyhow, my bags take a lot of abuse. Sometimes I stash them on the floor under my table at restaurants. Sometimes people spill beer in my brand new bags. On my birthday. (Don't ask.) This particular line of bags are made of a luxurious silky material. I just don't see how I'm going to keep a silk bag lookin' good. Come my next karaoke adventure, there is bound to be a Blue Moon spilled all over it. With that said, I find myself wearing a lot of black... and assuming it can survive my lifestyle, this bag could be a nice pop of color in my wardrobe. So now I ask myself, do I take it back? Or not? Making my decision even harder is the fact that I purchased this adorable matching wallet. I am such a sucker for a pretty wallet. What's a girl to do? My money is probably more wisely spent on a neutral bag that isn't made of such a wussy material. Now speak up.

20 comments:

Lauren said...

I get my purses from Target because I murder all of them. Like you, they're thrown on the floor, subjected to spills and more. I'm awful to those poor things!

The purse you got is REALLY REALLY cute and simply because of that, I say keep it. It's a great Spring/Summer bad and a lovely dash of color. Maybe the delicate material will keep you from treating it badly.

Anonymous said...

You bought the cute wallet? You're not taking it back!

I think the bag will be a great pop of color against your black wardrobe!

Kyla Roma said...

Too cute!

I also butcher my bags, so I would vote for taking it back and getting the pretty wallet that will live safely inside your Uber Tough bag.

alyssa said...

That's really cute! Buuut, I always buy my stuff at Target. I also throw my bags around like nothing. And actually I've bought some purses a bit more expensive and they did not last. Ahhhhh, my trusty Target purses! My last one I got is huge and dark purple, nom.

B said...

I'd take it back. But I'm also ... wicked anti Vera Bradley or whatever her face is.

So maybe I'm bias?

rachaelgking said...

I'm with Kyla Roma! Best idea ever.

Lexilooo said...

It's adorable and you should keep it. Maybe just use it for more special occasions, like Sunday brunch with your grandmother and not nights at the bar?

PS. I am a Vera fan, though not one of the huge obsessive ones!

Unknown said...

I am horrible at giving advice about spending money because I always feel that you are only young once and you should live the hell out of your life now so you should be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

I am shameful I know.

My opinion is keep the purse. Rock it and the wallet with all your adorable Ann Taylor Loft finds and live it up. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh sweetie. i'm a bag whore. i have a "nicole by nicole miller for JC Penney" that I got like 3 months ago and that is a LONG TIME to have a purse for me. :) my vote is this: because of the wussy material, don't take it to the bar, and be a bit more gentle with it at restaurants. put it beside your chair if possible instead of under the table. but the bag whore says keep it. :)

also, i totally hear ya on the fall/spring shopping problem. i bought 2 pairs of sunglasses yesterday because they were both SO. DARN. CUTE. Good thing they were $12 maurices cheapies. :)

Hillary said...

it's a cute bag but I'm thinking it will stop being cute after the first beer is dumped on it (happy birthday to YOU!)

http://www.mattandnat.com has cute, colourful bags
if you choose one of their "leather" materials instead of fabric, they're quite hardy

Melissa Maris said...

Oh so cute - don't take it back!

Anonymous said...

We seem to be missing some vital information here... How much does said bag cost? Was it on sale? Surely we can silence your good sense with some good, old-fashioned justification!

Unknown said...

I hate pink AND florals, but think that bag and wallet are gorgeous and worth any price you paid/beer spilled.

Jane said...

I think it's cute, and I say keep it. I butcher bags as well, but I think it's because I buy them at Target and know that I "can." It's probably costs just as much either way.

Maxie said...

I say keep it, but buy a cheapo backup bag from target or something. I got one last year in plain black for like 13 bucks. If I think its gonna be a wild night I switch over to thatone

Pretty Unfamous said...

Keep it! If it's such a nice bag, even for how "trendy" Vera Bradley can be, you'll like it forever.

Or then you can sell it on ebay.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful bag. If you think you'd be able to manage to use it only when you know it won't get ruined, then I'd keep it. Otherwise, I'd return it and just keep the wallet.

Anonymous said...

I'm not really a Very Bradley person either but that bag is tres cute.

Did you Twitter that you returned it though?

That makes me sad.

As far as bags go, buy one from Coach. They're really expensive but you can abuse the living crap out of them and they still look wonderful. You'll only buy one compared to ten others.

Pretty Unfamous said...

YES! I was at Chipotle last week with my roommate's boyfriend. He went around to some car places with me because I needed to get something fixed, and everyone was telling me to have a guy go with me so I wasn't screwed over with prices. He and I grabbed burritos afterward. (I just wrote on Andrew's wall on facebook to tell him that was indeed me)

Anonymous said...

I'm not usually a Vera Bradly or floral print kinda gal but I really like that one.

KEEP IT!