Thursday, October 22, 2009

Do you see this face?



Oh, sure he might look all sweet an innocent like he could never do any wrong. But don't trust him, folks! He's a maniac!

Luke was having some ... um... how do I put this delicately... butt licking problems... the week of our wedding. The wonderful woman who previously fostered Luke before we adopted him offered to watch our boy while we were busy getting married, so she took him to the vet for us. They ... oh boy... um... "expressed his glands" (sorry! I really didn't mean for this to be such a graphic post!) and sent him home with a strict order to eat more fiber.

Well, we picked him up after returning from the honeymoon only to find him still very irritated and uncomfortable. We took him to the vet the next morning and they tested him for a bacteria infection. The vet said he must have got into something he shouldn't have. To which I replied, "Oh, I bet it was either that dead animal I had to pull out of his mouth a few weeks ago or all that garbage he ate!"

See people? This is not the face of an angel. This is a dead-animal-garbage-eating- monster.

We also had the vet check him for a thyroid disorder, as all his shedding has me worried. Greyhounds are not supposed to shed much at all, but tell that to the tumbleweeds of fur rolling around on our wood floors. The vet was very skeptical, saying he was probably shedding due to stress. (Stress? Um, lady, Luke doesn't exactly live a stressful lifestyle. He eats, poops, and sleeps. That's really about it.)

The thyroid function test came back to reveal that our boy has hypothyroidism and has to take two little blue pills every day for the rest of his life. The low thyroid hormone levels explain his shedding, bald belly, and low energy level. The vet told us to expect a noticeable change in his energy level on the meds.

Oh boy, we notice.

We came home yesterday to find my loofah shredded into a thousand pieces and poop on the rug and (i kid you not) poop smeared on the walls. I really don't know how he managed to do that. It's almost impressive.

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay.

16 comments:

ria said...

i think dogs have such cute faces because if they didn't we wouldn't put up with their shenanigans!

Dwight said...

Did the poop smears resemble letters at all. Maybe he was trying to communicate with you?

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Oh, Luke, you are my little gentleman...

Poor guy. At least he is feeling better. I mean, one doesn't generally smear poop on the walls unless one is feeling better...or is angry about having to move out of a foreclosed home.

Sarah said...

HAH! Anchorman was exactly what I was thinking when you said he smeared his poo on the wall.

That sucks, but I guess it's good training for kids?

On second thought, here's to hoping your poop-smeared wall days end with Luke!

MsDarkstar said...

All I could think when I read about the loofah was "More fiber? Check!"

Hillary said...

welcome to my life

Tam said...

Oh Luke! I have to take those little blue pills too. We're twins! (except for the poop thing)

You needed a new loofa anyway right?

Pretty Unfamous said...

My roommate is dog sitting this week. We put him in his crate yesterday while we all went to class, only to come back and find poop smeared ALL OVER HIS CRATE, ALL OVER HIS BODY, and stinking the WHOLE house up. Gah. I hate it!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one with a naughty dog. Lex is so high-anxiety he is on doggy zoloft and Jake will eat anything that is made of paper.

Just be glad he hasn't resorted to the shenanigans of my friends pups who ate her drapes... off the window. Literally ate them. It was a fabulous mess that ended in an emergancy vet visit.

Kim said...

Dogs require so much of our attention. Must be why they're so loveable. Otherwise we'd kill them.

Courtney said...

Poop on the wall!? ah!! I thought my dog was bad. I am so sorry :( The cutest ones are always trouble!

alyssa said...

Can you just picture him rubbing his poop covered butt on the wall? Gross and hilarious at the same time!

Also, only laughing at this post because nearly every day our dogs find something to destroy. Today they took a magazine out of my magazine rack. RANDOM.

Julienne said...

My poor puppy had to have his glands expressed last week too. Ugh, disgusting.

Unknown said...

All I have to say is... wow!

Melissa Maris said...

Well, I guess maybe this is good preparation for kids. Although I don't think babies eat loofahs...

Erin W said...

Oh no! You can tell her gets into trouble BECAUSE of that face I think!