Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Answers Part I

Great questions so far! Here are the start of my answers. My dream publication/site to write for? I am lucky to say I was very serious about wanting to write an article for Paste a few years ago. After some persistence and a great story pitch, they hired me to write a piece for their Scrapbook section of the magazine. Without giving too much about my identity away (my last name is pretty easy to figure out if you know what you are looking for...) I wrote a feature about an influential music guru who hosts weekly segments on a national media outlet. Seeing my byline on those glossy pages reminds me that I am capable of achieving my wildest dreams--as long as I am willing to tackle them with 100 percent of my persistence and writing chops. With that said, there is one publication my persistence did not pay off. I wanted more than anything in college to be an intern at O Magazine. At that time, the magazine was still relatively new and no one was certain if Oprah's face on the cover was enough to keep the publication in business in the often fickle and volatile magazine industry. I didn't care. I just wanted to be part of Oprah's wonderland. After submitting my application, weeks passed without hearing from O. Shocked my resume was not enough to warrant a personal call from the Queen of Media herself (kidding), my impatience got to the best of me and I started calling the office weekly to see if anyone had a chance to consider my application. I guess I grew bored with the waiting game and stopped calling and never heard from them again. The one publication I'd love to write for? O Magazine. Full Disclosure: I don't even read the magazine. But how cool would it be to work for Oprah? Biggest surprise in planning the wedding so far? I have been very surprised at how involved everyone wants to be in the planning process. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it was totally unexpected for me. My parents are usually fine with letting me make my own decisions and trust me to make the most of the money they are giving us towards the wedding. With that said, they have had something to say about each little bump along the way. From the venue not being close enough to a hotel (it's about 2 miles from a hotel... so.... yeah), to the guest list, to the food selections... they've made their voices heard. It's made things quite challenging to try to balance everyone's expectations as well as what Andrew and I want for our big day. I'm happy to say that we've finally reached a point where everyone is happy with our plans--and all of the big stuff has already been decided. To date, we have a ceremony venue, an officiant, flowers, reception venue, caterer, wedding cake, wedding dress, linens, a DJ, and a rehearsal dinner location. I'd say we're doing pretty well. If you could be Rainbow Brite, Punky Brewster or Strawberry Shortcake for a day, who would you be and why? Sorry Strawberry Shortcake, but I'm voting you off the island first. I've never felt a particular connection to her--despite having a Strawberry Shortcake light-switch plate in my childhood bedroom. Punky Brewster was totally awesome, and I even had a pair of Punky Brewster snowboots. A boy I was very much crazy about used to call me Punky in junior high because I apparently reminded him of that little rascal. (I took it as a term of endearment. Nothing you say will ever convince me otherwise.) Nonetheless, Punky does not live among rainbows and clouds. So I pick Rainbow Brite. Done. Slip-n-slide or sprinkler? Slip-n-slide! Favorite historical figure? Martin Luther King. Or Jesus. Who can choose? What's the secret behind your famous grilled cheese? Oh, Laura. You are asking the tough questions now. Let's see. Start with a stick of butter and hot skillet over a medium flame. Rub the stick of butter on the skillet until the whole surface is covered in a slick buttery blanket of goodness. Then wipe one piece of white bread through it until it is covered evenly and completely on one side. Repeat process with second piece of bread--melting more butter if necessary. Assemble your sandwich with 1-2 pieces of American Cheese (Kraft Singles!) depending on your preferred level of cheesiness. You can put more if you want, but it probably won't melt to my specifications. Cook one side of the sandwich until it is golden brown and then flip and do the same thing on the other side. If the cheese is not completely melted by the end of the process, turn the fire down low until everything is melty and delicious. Cut diagonally, of course. And enjoy! Tune in again tomorrow for more answers! Keep the questions coming if you want. I have no secrets.

9 comments:

Ashley D said...

A boy used to call me Punky Brewster in middle school too! It's totally a compliment. :)

Hillary said...

dude! it is vlog day! where is your vlog?

alyssa said...

LOL - when I first read that I thought you used the ENTIRE stick of butter :) Thats how I make my grilled cheese too!

Unknown said...

you picked rainbow brite. you know how happy that makes me, right? i'll lend you the costume for a day if you want... ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree! Having your name forever linked with the mighty O would indeed be an accomplishment. You could even embellish to your grandkids that she used to come to you for editorial direction. :)

Maxie said...

I'm with hillary!! WHERE IS YOUR VLOG DAMN IT.

Your vlog was my fave last time.

p.s. I DID vlog and I gave you a shoutout in mine... whammy!

Kyla Bea said...

Great answers! But where's the Amanda, walking and talking and giving us tours of her house?? ; )

Unknown said...

I'm reading this at work and craving a grilled cheese now more than anything! Great answers.

Anonymous said...

your grilled cheese...sounds AMAZING