Friday, February 20, 2009

TGIF

Work is busy. Wedding planning is soul sucking. House hunting is growing to be painful and annoying.

I am thankful I have a job. I am thankful I found the love of my life. I am thankful I have the means to afford a house.

Sometimes you just have to slap some sense into yourself. Especially after a week like this one.

Thank you for all you Twitter followers/friends who kept my mom in your prayers this week. She was taken to the ER in an ambulance with chest pains at 2 a.m. on Thursday. After receiving a very scary call from my sister in the dead of the night, Andrew offered to drive me to the hospital. (I was too shaken up to drive.)

We were directed to my mom's room in the ER. I cautiously pulled back the curtain and was relieved to see her sitting up in bed and smiling to see me.

"This is my daughter," she introduced me to her doctor. "And this is my future son-in-law," she motioned towards Andrew, still smiling.

I leaned forward to kiss her cheek, my bottom lip trembling. "You scared me!"

"I'm okay," she said. "I decided to not be stupid and get checked out. Just in case."

My parents didn't even realize my sister had called me and were sorry that we made the trip to the hospital in the middle of the night.

I was just relieved that my mom was okay.

The doctors aren't completely sure what caused the episode, but it could be as simple as the fact that she forgot to take her high blood pressure medication earlier that day. They decided to keep her for a few days, and she should be discharged this afternoon.

Much love to this little community. You're all amazing.

xo

21 comments:

Hillary said...

Dear Amanda's Mom,
You are a smart cookie for erring on the side of caution. Far too many people decide to wait it out (especially when it's the middle of the night) and wake up dead. You rock.
Love Hillary (Clinton! Ha!)

Dear Andrew,
You rock for driving Amanda to the hospital in the middle of the night. I'm sorry that I said that you smell (like 6 months ago.)
Love Hillary

Dear Amanda,
I'm 93% certain that I love you.
Love Hillary

Sarah said...

I am so thankful that your mom is okay and that she decided to be safe rather than sorry. I will be sending her good health vibes!

B said...

aww.. I'm glad your mommy's okay!

Dugout Daisy said...

I'm so glad your mom is okay!

:)

Tam said...

YAY for your mom being okay!!

Also, I feel for you on the house hunting. I remember when we were house hunting...if I had to look at one more house filled with SOMEONE ELSE'S (icky!)smells and doilies while the realtor says "picture yourself here" its pretty hard to mentally replace your shit with piles of junk that belong to an 80 yr old couple.

This once time, we looked at a house where the husband had died and the lady was inside trying to sell all of his stuff to people who were looking at her house! There was a wheelchair with a sign that said "$100 take today - cash only"

We didnt buy the wheelchair OR the house.

Anonymous said...

Glad you to hear your Mom is doing well...

Ashley D said...

I'm so glad to hear that you mom is doing okay. I know how scary hospitals can be when someone you love is there. Sending you my good thoughts!

thatShortchick said...

so glad your mom is doing well. i know moments like those can have your heart beating outside of your chest and make breathing completely unbearable.

also, Andrew is one awesome fella. but you already knew that :)

Anonymous said...

glad your mom is doing well! that's scary to be woken up in the middle of the night.

Kyla Bea said...

That is one phone call no one ever wants to get - you guys are so brave & I'm glad that everything is fine!

<3

kwərk said...

Glad that she is OK, and I hope the doctors can make a clear cause for what happened! That is a scary thing when someone you love is sick and you don't know what's going on.

Love!

Kerri W. said...

Aw, I'm so very glad that your mom is okay! I can't even imagine getting a call like that. Cue the freak out.

Also, I know what you mean about keeping things in perspective...I'm always ready to complain about something, but I'm learning to be thankful to even have things to complain about, if that makes sense.

PS: You're a gem.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i have to remind myself the same thing very often, think of the good things.

i'm glad your mom is ok hun.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Merm, I am so sorry to hear about your mom and that you had to go through that. Not sure if you remem/know, but I got a call like that before and the not really knowing what's going on is tremendously disconcerting. So I completely understand. But so glad it turned out to be okay!!!!!!

Maxie said...

I'm so glad your mom is okay!!! I had no idea that any of that was even going on... buddy :-(

xoxo-
jigga

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing better!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your mom is okay Mermanda!

Lauren said...

Ah, no, YOU'RE amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

glad everything has worked out okay. {big internet hugs!} here's hoping this week is better than the last!

Melissa Maris said...

Yikes, I'm so glad she's okay!

sarah marie p said...

Hey Amanda,
I'm soooo glad to hear that your mom is OK! That must have been the scariest thing OF ALL TIME. :(

It was so sweet of Andrew to drive you there. I know I wouldn't have been able to drive either. I bet your mom really appreciated that you guys came to see her. Who wouldn't get cheered up by the Mermanda/Andrew duo!?

xoxo
Thinking about your family.