Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I saw the sign (and it opened up my eyes)

Oh gosh. That apartment was even nicer than I could have ever imagined. The investment firm that funded the complete renovation of the duplex brought in furniture, window treatments, and fresh cut flowers to push the wow factor up through the roof. No one has lived in this house since it has been completely gutted. Everything is brand new. New furnace. New oven. New fridge. New microwave. New dishwasher. New washer and dryer. New. New! NEW! No one's frozen chicken nuggets have ever touched the inside of the freezer. No one's soiled linens have ever touched the inside of the washing machine. No one's dirty body has ever been bathed in the shower. NEW!

The neighborhood is a few steps down from where I live now... and my commute time will more than double.

But alas, some things are worth the sacrifice. After convincing myself that a ten minute commute is the stuff dreams are made of, but a 25-minute commute is not exactly the worst thing in the world--we decided to fill out the application. We are up against six others, but I believe we have first dibs since we looked at it first and told the management first that we absolutely wanted it. Cross your fingers. We turn in the application tonight.

However, I am a creature of habit and the thought of packing up and moving to a new neighborhood in three weeks freaks me out a little. I am comfortable where I live. I know the guy I wait at the bus stop with is a lawyer and has a ghost that messes with his stereo. I know the family across the street met in grad school where they got their doctorates in chemistry--and will probably one day have their 3-year-old daughter memorize the periodic chart. I know the girls who live in the apartments above me NEVER take out their trash. NOT ONCE. I know my next-door neighbor's two dogs would love to eat me. I know what I am dealing with. The unknown is what scares me.

This morning I was thinking to myself that I would like a sign to know this move is the absolute right decision. Five minutes later I was texting boyfriend: "I smell a birthday/house warming party." EXCEPT... my stupid phone said "house warning." That's not a sign right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Anonymous said...

good luck! those pictures from yesterday were pretty much my dream house.

Anonymous said...

Fingers, toes and eyes are crossed. You are SO getting this apartment :)

Mermanda said...

Wahoo! I like the way you think, Jenn.

Bayjb said...

You need to have that place. You found it and it's available and everything is new. Change is hard but it'l' be so worth it.