Thursday, June 12, 2008

Where did it go?

My motivation? Have you seen it? I'm thinking it is probably too late to post "LOST" posters because I haven't seen my motivation since college.

How did I go from acing college classes while juggling a staff position on the student newspaper and the full-time job of being a resident assistant in a freshmen dorm--to not being able to write more than one sentence before completely losing my concentration and drive? I'm not talking about blogging... for some reason that just comes naturally. I'm talking about w-o-r-k. Don't get me wrong... I'm damn good at my job. I just don't know why graduating Magna Cum Laude was my brain's signal that it was time to go on hiatus. Hey brain! I need you! I know 16 years of school was tough, and you do deserve a break... but you've been gone for three years now. Please come home!

I just can't concentrate on things like I used to. The college me could pile up three text-books, a poetry anthology, and two writing assignments and plow through them with impressive speed. The adult me stares at the computer screen wondering why it has taken me four hours to write 150 words. (Is anyone else completely obsessed with the word count feature on Word? I literally check it after each sentence. "OH! I'm 43 percent done with this article!" Sick.)

I have been drinking green tea by the gallon. I think it is supposed to keep you sharp... but I can't find any evidence of that online, so maybe I made that up. In that case, I've been going through 4 tea-bags a day for nothing... oy.

Anyhow, today I was struggling with getting the words out of my head and on to the computer screen. Lunch time rolled around, and though I promised myself I would wait to go on lunch until I was done with my assignment (which isn't even due until Tuesday)--I abandoned my work 75.6% complete.

I have a blanket that I keep in my office for amazing days like today. I grabbed it and headed to a grassy area a short walk away and plopped down with my book (still working on The Rum Diary.) After a few chapters, my eyes began to close. Rather than fight it, I set the alarm on my cell phone and curled up on my blanket for the rest of the lunch hour. The alarm went off and I hit snooze. (No surprise there!)

I made it back to the office looking a little disheveled from the catnap. I sat down at my desk to continue and finish my assignment when it occurred to me. Afternoon catnaps in the park may seem like a good idea at the time, but they really do nothing to boost my motivation levels. Oops!



Photo of me enjoying a similarly lovely day in the Burgh last summer.

Photo by Karen H.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The college me could pile up three text-books, a poetry anthology, and two writing assignments and plow through them with impressive speed."

That's impressive. I think you might be my new hero.

Mermanda said...

Jenn, if you knew that I had no social life to speak of until my senior year, you might be whistling a different tune.

Johnny said...

it took me several hours to get up the gumption to leave this comment, so I guess I can't really add much in the way of advice, eh?

Jamie Lovely said...

Catnaps are the best. Not good for productivity, but still the best!

Daszzle said...

haha, that's awesome. I always wish I could nap at work... but my luck would be that my boss would come strolling by.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I hope you don't mind, but I've added you to my blogroll :). Just let me know if so.

Becky said...

Naps in the sun = amazing!