Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All is not lost... or at least not my cookbook

Found it. Now it's game time, playas!

Pretzel Salad
A legendary picnic treat. I even ate some despite my recently self-diagnosed strawberry allergy. Itchy mouth be damned! I remembered the pretzels staying crunchier... but my friend Bri says the pretzels never stay crunchy. I think she was just being kind. What do you guys think? Was my crunchless crust just a fact of life? Give me your constructive criticism. I know you all have opinions on this because you were all like "OMG, pretzel salad! OMG! That's my favorite!" So speak up. Please.



Layer 1: 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels; 3/4 cup melted margarine; 3 Tbsp. sugar
Layer 2: 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese; 1 cup sugar; 2 cups whipped topping
Layer 3: 1 large package of strawberry jello (6 oz.); 2 cups boiling water; 10 oz. frozen strawberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put first layer in a 9x13x2 inch pan. Bake 8 minutes. Remove to cool.
Layer 2: Beat sugar into cheese, stir in whipped topping. Spread over cooled pretzels.
Layer 3: Mix Jello, boiling water, and strawberries together and set aside for 10 minutes. Pour over cheese mixture; chill thorougly.


Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars

One of the few things I scarfed down in my college's dining hall.

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (I had no idea this existed. I know... newb)
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 package semi sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place butter in 9x13 baking pan and melt in oven.
Remove pan and carefully tilt to spread butter.
Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over melted butter. (I packed it with a spatuala.)
Pour sweetened condensed milk over crumbs.
Top with remaining ingredients.
Bake 25 minutes.
Cool.
Cut into bars.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm still a little scared of the pretzel salad business, but those cookie bars? I want those right now as well. They look DELICIOUS. Om nom nom.

Anonymous said...

magic cookie bars.... *drools Thanks for the recipe, I'm totally going to make these

Anonymous said...

oops forgot to put my name in ;) duh

Anonymous said...

ok, jsut found your blog, love it, and I am a fellow 'burgher with a love for Pretzel Jello. Heres a hint- make sure you cover all the pretzels very thoroughly AND make sure there are no empty spaces where the jello/strawberry mix can contaminate the pretzels. Thats how it gets soggy. The cream cheese/coolwhip layer is the sealant between the pretzels and the jello. Also-try it using raspberry jello. I think its better (but still use the frozen strawberries, but mix them into the rasp. jello).

Anonymous said...

anon. here again- one more thing, chill the jello mix until its almost congealed then sort of spoon it onto the cream cheese layer, that way theres less "liquid" to leak down into the pretzels. Its a science. You also have to eat it the same day you make it, once its cut the pretzels will go soggy on you real fast.