Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm just me OR: Something new to quit

Inspired by Lacey, Andrew and I began the Couch to 5K running program this weekend. Alternating between 90 seconds of jogging and a minute of walking for a total of 20 minutes seems like an easy way to build up some endurance. I say seems because I was pretty sure I was going to die towards the end of the first run.

I came to a horrible realization while trying to catch my breath.

"I'm so out of shape," I said to Andrew as I huffed and puffed. "Wait! I've never been in shape. So I guess I can't be out of shape... I guess I'm just me."

How can I almost be 25 and have never once been able to keep up with a fitness program? This is the only body I have. How am I supposed to live forever if I get winded jogging for measly 90 second bursts?

After the run, Andrew whipped up some lox omelets, fake bacon (not incredibly yummy), and sourdough toast. If he keeps plying me with delicious foods, I might be able to be bribed to keep up the running... at least until the cold renders my lungs useless.

Tuesday is day two of the program. Please give me your support. I know there are a lot of runners out there in blogland. I need all the encouragement I can get.

In other news, you may have noticed my new bling bling. I'm the newest member of the AllTop Twenty Something family.

P.S. Oh man. Who else is looking forward to the VP debates Thursday? So incredibly giddy about it.

19 comments:

Ben said...

Congrats on Alltop! You so deserve to be in there :)

Not so congrats on the running thing. I don't support running. It is boring and makes my knees hurt.

Anonymous said...

congrats on alltop! i had to look it up to see what it was. am i pathetic?!

the only way i can run is if i have a good playlist!!!

Hillary said...

Last week I decided I wanted to be a runner. I went for one run. I'm pretty sure I dislocated my ass cheeks.

This week I'm back to being a tv-watching, icecream-eating sloth. It's good to be back.

Sophia said...

give the running a week or two! it might get easier... i went from hating running to doing a 5K, and now i'm back to less than that. which i'm cool with.

ps. I totally didn't copy you on the "Tweet Tweet" twitter heading! I just noticed that! We think alike!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Alltop! You are awesome :)

sarah marie p said...

Ha - I totally know what you mean! I'm not out of shape cuz I've never been in shape. How sad! But I believe in you - go, go,go! Let us know how day two of your program goes! Good luck! Dang, that reminds me, I should try and go to the gym again. :( No me likey!! Well, once I get there it's OK, it's the actually getting there that's the problem!

Rae // theNotice said...

Just pretend you're running away from a crazed and rabid pterodactyl. Works like a charm.

And also:
Congrats on Alltop, hon!! But wait. What happens if you turn thirty and you're still blogging? Do they revoke your twentysomething status?

Hm.

Anonymous said...

Woot woot! Congrats on Alltop - and Couch to 5K. I'm trying to run more too. I'm glad I'm not alone. So don't stop! You're an inspiration! =)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on alltop!

And i'm super pumped about thursday... I'm actually more excited about this than the presidential debates

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! :)

And I can't walk fast without being winded. You're already a pro in my book.

Anonymous said...

stick with the running - i promise it gets easier! my dad totally shows me up - two years ago he decided to get off the couch and since then he´s run 3 half marathons and some triathlons. yeah he turns 50 in november. i´m pathetic.

also, get a good playlist. try some girltalk!

Mermanda said...

Ben, It is incredibly boring, isn't it? Boo.

Ria, I love making playlists. Maybe this won't be so bad.

Hillary, Welcome back! We've missed you!

Sophia, We're just a couple of pretty birds chirping our hearts out. No worries.

Jamie, YOU are. Times ten.

Sarah Marie, I have never been a gym kind of person.

Rae, I like the way you think!

Michelle, Don't get carried away, girl. Inspiration?

Maxie, I KNOW! I can't wait for Palin to eat it.

SleepyJane, I know what you mean. I am a slug.

Jennifer, Girltalk is actually a great suggestion for running music. Did you know he's a Pittsburgher? He and my boyfriend are actually acquaintances. Neat-o, eh?

Kyla Bea said...

Coongrats!! = )

Good luck with the running - I can't and won't go there, you're a brave lady.

Lauren said...

1) Yay! I'm glad Alltop worked! You so deserve to be on it

2) Good luck with the running. Every day I say that i'm going to start again. Every day I find myself on the couch. Sigh. You can do it!

addy said...

I cannot WAIT for Thursday's debates! It's going to be a bloodbath, and I am so excited.

Lacey Bean said...

Yay Im glad you started running!! I need to start the program all over again (I did 2 days out of week 1) because I got sick with an awful cold and could barely stay awake, let alone run. :)

I'm Just Me said...

Congratulations on Alltop!

Good luck with the running...I can only bring myself to **think** about running a lot. My boyfriend is "Mr I run for miles and it feels great" and my best friend has seriously done a marathon! I do my best at a few blocks and then I think one day I will probably work up to "run-far-if-chased".

paisana said...

This is essentially what I did when I was learning to run, and it works. I couldn't believe the day I ran for 20 min. straight and DIDN'T FALL OVER DEAD. Keep with it! Good luck!

Karen said...

don't dis fakon.