Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Okay let's see if I remember how this works

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack. And I have to say it feels damn good! What an amazing way to be welcomed back to the blogosphere! You guys nominated me for the most interesting blog in the 20SB community! When I read all of the nominations, I did not expect to see my own name appear on the list. When I saw I had been nominated for the most interesting category, I literally squealed with delight. I also might have done an awkward little dance in my little blue striped nightgown. (My superhero outfit, according to Andrew.) I told Andrew the news and his response? "Who would find your blog interesting? It's about BAND-AIDS!" Touché, my dear. Touché. I don't know who nominated me, but thanks! I never really believed movie stars when they say crap like "It's an honor just to be nominated" for the Oscars, etc... but you know what? I believe them now. I am beyond honored! (You like me! You really like me!) Okay enough of that... On to business. 50 Books in 2008 Some of you have been asking about whether or not I read 50 books in 2008 like I had set out to do. The answer is yes. Though, just barely. I finished number 50 with eight hours of '08 to spare. The final 11 books on the list are all plays (with the one audio book exception). Quick reads... was under the gun, ya know? I read a total of 9,325 pages last year. That's just craziness! Here's the list, in the order that they were read. I've emboldened the top ten books that I highly recommend you read for yourselves... I hope you like the Sedaris siblings... 1. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (David Sedaris) 2. Holidays on Ice (David Sedaris) 3. The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls) 4. The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Mitch Albom) 5. Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris) 6. Your Blues Ain't Like Mine (Bebe Moore Campbell) 7. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky) 8. Then, Suddenly (Lynn Emanuel) 9. The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat And Other Clinical Tales (Oliver Sacks) 10. Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov) 11. The Little Book of Plagiarism (Richard Posner) 12. A Streetcar Named Desire (Tennessee Williams) 13. Fire Wheel (Sharmila Voorakkara) 14. I Like You (Amy Sedaris) 15. Tuesdays With Morrie (Mitch Albom) 16. Naked (David Sedaris) 17. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Tennessee Williams) 18. Happy Birthday, Wanda June (Kurt Vonnegut) 19. The Rum Diary (Hunter S. Thompson) 20. A Raisin in the Sun (Lorraine Hansberry) 21. When You Are Engulfed in Flames (David Sedaris) 22. Bait and Switch (Barbara Ehrenreich) 23. Post Office (Charles Bukowski) 24. Message in a Bottle (Nicholas Sparks) 25. Dear John (Nicholas Sparks) 26. At First Sight (Nicholas Sparks) 27. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (Michael Chabon) 28. Look Me in the Eye (John Elder Robinson) 29. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See) 30. The Final Solution: A Story of Detection (Michael Chabon) 31. The Awakening (Kate Chopin) 32. Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) 33. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Edward Albee) 34. Resurrection Blues (Arthur Miller) 35. The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window (Lorraine Hansberry) 36. Not about Nightingales (Tennessee Williams) 37. A Model World and Other Stories (Michael Chabon) 38. Indignation (Philip Roth) 39. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou) 40. The Baby with the Bathwater (Christopher Durang) 41. Hughie (Eugene O'Neill ) 42. Betty's Summer Vacation (Christopher Durang) 43. Barrel Fever (David Sedaris) (audio book) 44. Long Day's Journey into Night (Eugene O'neill) 45. Buried Child (Sam Shepard) 46. The Gin Game (D. L. Coburn) 47. Don't Drink the Water (Woody Allen) 48. 'Night Mother (Marsha Norman) 49. Barefoot in the Park (Neil Simon) 50. The Member of the Wedding (Carson McCullers) So what's next? My resolution for 2009 is to complete at least 40 items on my 101 Things in 1001 Days list. I already have a few items crossed off--I'll post an update tomorrow. Thanks Thank you so much for reading my blog. 2008 was a terrific year for me. I fell in love with blogging and this entire community, I moved into a fabulous house with Andrew, I got engaged, and started planning our wedding! Oh, and did I mention that I BOUGHT MY WEDDING DRESS? EEEEEEE!! Here's to a superb 2009. Muah!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw your wedding dress! that's so great! thanks for the list of books, i'm always looking for something to read :)

Kyla Bea said...

Congrats on having bought your wedding dress!!

And I love that you read the same amount of David Sedaris as I do - if you like him you should download the This American Life podcast, he's a regular contributor & is outstanding.

Unknown said...

Yay!!! You bought your wedding dress. I am so excited for you. That was my favorite part about planning my wedding.

Even now I still love my wedding dress, I am tempted to put it on and walk around my apartment.

Welcome back darling. You were missed. Oh and congrats, you totally deserve it.

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

OMG I did the same thing when I realized I was nominated for Funniest. I am the person who got a huge applause when I made a joke in college, because it happened so infrequently.

Hillary said...

Congrats on the nomination!

Me Talk Pretty One Day is one of my favourite books of all time.

Sh. said...

EEEEEEK! You bought the dress?! Don't we get a sneak peek!!! Puh-leeease!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Congrats on your nom! I found your blog through Smitten & think it's thebomb.com. (that seemed like an appropriate blog compliment, ignore the dorkiness, please).

Thanks for including the list of books - always looking for new things to read!

Tam said...

Oh I totally second the sneak peek! Dress was my favorite part about wedding planning too.

Your book list is stunning really. A great mix of things that make you look well versed yet sappy. Trashy, yet refined.

I loved The Glass Castle and since I read ONE book last year. That was a good choice. I also heart Christopher Durang. DMV TYRANT is my fav!

Sophia said...

congrats on the nom! and the dress :D hmm I need to check out the Sedaris siblings' stuff!

Rae // theNotice said...

AHHH!!! (that is the excited I-can't-wait-until-you-post-pics-of-the-dress scream)

And also, congrats on everything, and welcome back!

CIP said...

Congrats on the nomination! Your blog is interesting, duhhhh!

Your book list is great. Congrats on all that reading. I love, "The 5 People You Meet In Heaven"

Katelin said...

man today really was post what you've read blog today, haha. great minds truly think alike and i may have to check out some of your reads.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the nomination(and finding your wedding dress)! And do we get a preview of the dress?

thatShortchick said...

yay congrats on the nomination and most importantly, YOUR DRESS! how exciting!

i discovered david sedaris' books last year and have been a huge fan ever since.

sarah marie p said...

Yay! SO glad you're back! And Congrats, congrats, congrats on being nominated for most interesting! That's so awesome! Yaya!

And you bought your wedding dress?! This is going to be a good year indeed! Can't wait to hear more about your wedding plans!

jessica maria said...

Good job, good job! I'm trying to get 52 books read in 2009, EEP!

Congrats on getting the wedding dress! My first fitting is in 2 weeks! :)

Lauren said...

I WANT TO SEE YOUR WEDDING DRESS!

I squealed when I noticed that I was nominated as well!

I read all of Sedaris last year as well! Except Barell Fever - I'm reading that one right now. Oh, and I second Kyla Bea - TAL is fantastic. Sarah Vowell is on there as well and I want to be friends with her.

Side note, whenever Samir and I go to the beach, he always walks straight into the water and goes "who am I? WHO AM I?!" Yes, he's making a reference to "The Awakening." AWFUL.

little erin said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your book list. davis sedaris is fantastic. have you read alot of augusten burroughs? he is perfect! i have a 101 in 1001 as well!!!!! congrats on the nom!