Wednesday, November 19, 2008

20SB Blog Swap: Lifetime Original World



20SB Blog Swap 3

Todays guest post is brought to you by Holly
from "Holly Grande". This is all part of the 20 Something Bloggers "Blog Swap 3". Don't forget to go check out my post, "Quarter-Life Nose Piercing over on her site.





Hi folks! My name is Holly, from hollygrande.com, and I have a confession: I love Lifetime Original Movies. I know, I know, they're Lifetime Original Movies, but there is something addictive about them. You turn on a Sunday afternoon teen pregnancy marathon, and you're hooked. Plain Truth, She's Too Young, and 15 and Pregnant: all timeless classics.

My favorite Lifetime Original of late, however, is Fab Five: The Texas Cheerleader Scandal. This movie is made of pure win. In it, five delightfully nasty girls bully their peers, teachers and even parents. These girls take raunchy photos, spill dirty secrets and attempt to take down the only two teachers who are not afraid of the teenage terrors. But the absolute best part? Much like the 1992 classic Willing to Kill: The Texas Cheerleader Story, Fab Five, is based on a true story of scandalous Texas cheerleaders.

Yes. YES. This Lifetime Original deserves an all-caps affirmative.

In college, my roommates Cassy, Katy, Erin and I would sit down and watch Lifetime on the weekends. We'd bundle up on the couch under blankets and kick the boys out of the den so we could get our weekend Lifetime fix, because that's when the good ones play. In fact, if you're really lucky, you might even catch a Candace Cameron marathon.

Oh yes, D.J. Tanner is a Lifetime superstar. Her credentials include No One Would Tell, Freshman Fall and my personal favorite: Visitors of the Night, Lifetime's attempt at a sci-fi thriller. D.J. Tanner is haunted by strange dreams and missing time. Why you ask? Not due to dissociative disorder, alcohol or any other usual Lifetime Original trope, no: D.J. is visited in the night…by aliens. YES.

Lifetime Original Movies may not be very good, or even moderately good for that matter, but they are…like that grody sweatshirt you've had since college. It's dated and a little fuzzy, but comfortable and familiar. You know that someone's going to jail in a Lifetime Original, the lead character will get her kids back and the baby born to a 15-year-old will find a living home in an open adoption. Maybe, in that way, the Lifetime Original World is an ideal version of our own.

Thanks, Mermanda, for letting me borrow a bit of your blog, and here's to the next 20SB Blog swap!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I also love love love Lifetime. When I lived at home, my mom and I (and sometimes my dad, but don't ever say I told you that!) would sit for hours and watch it. Good memories!

Lacey Bean said...

I think my favorite Lifetime movie is the one with Keri Russell... where she is the babysitter and the dad kills the mom and is obsessed with her or some crap.

Oh and all the good ones with Tori Spelling haha. I <3 Lifetime!

addy said...

I love ABC Family movies - much in the same vein as you love Lifetime Movies. Now that they don't make them so often over on ABC Family, I'll have to check some of the Lifetime ones out!

P said...

We don't really have all those channels over here (well I PERSONALLY don't anyway!) but I have to admit a fondness for any made-for-tv movies that make their way across the pond to us, usually on channel five.

Maxie said...

Okay... I can't remember what it's called but there's this Lifetime Movie where a girls face is terribly scarred and she meets a plastic surgeon who fixes her face and she gets back at her asshole ex boyfriend who was only using her to get the key to the safe at the antique store she worked at.

Believe me...it was a good one :-)

Jonah K. Haslap said...

I prefer Uncle Jesse, personally. Yummers.

sarah marie p said...

DJ Tanner is in a couple Lifetime movies? This I gotta see!

Btw, when I was a kid I named my Cabbage Patch kid "Donna Jo." heee

Kerri W. said...

Dude. I live for Lifetime movies. I have no shame.

My favorite? Stalking Laura. Ohhhmmyyygoossshhh. I love it! Too good!

Did you ever see the SNL skit with Josh Hartnett where they made fun of Lifetime movies? The movie in the skit was called something like, "Stepson, Let's Go to Bed; I Went to Bed With My Stepson; The Laura Begnal Covington Story". Greatest ever.