Wednesday, October 8, 2008

On a serious note

Last night I played with the 2001 Google archives. At first, I started Googling silly things like my own name and Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

But when I realized the archives were from January 2001, it hit me. This is my chance to visit a time when 9/11 did not yet exist.

Immediately, I googled "World Trade Center." You can click on the link to see my results. There's not one mention of Osama Bin Laden, burning towers, terrorists, or September 11.

While visiting pages of WTC observation deck tours, I started to cry. I saw a view of Manhattan that will never again exist. I thought of all the people who perished with that same view in sight--albeit likely masked by giant plumes of black smoke.

Thank you, Google, for bringing me back to the simpler days. Who says there is no such thing as time travel?

6 comments:

Lauren said...

If anyone can help us time travel, it'll be google. One day they'll take over the world.

Pretty Unfamous said...

Wow. That's so crazy. Really, though, I wouldn't have thought of googling that, but good choice.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that!

sarah marie p said...

Time travel machine!

Anonymous said...

wow good post :)

Kyla Bea said...

That's amazing - that's a very quiet moment, hey?

Crazy.