Friday, October 31, 2008

Spooooky

Happy Halloween! [INSERT GHOST NOISES]

It's going to be a really creepy Halloween... more on that Monday when I share photos of me and Andrew in our costumes.

For now, behold our pumpkin.



Sorry there aren't more photos, but I was busy sorting the seeds from the guts while Andrew emptied that sucker out. You can't really tell from the photo but this was quite a warty and ugly pumpkin. Perfect for a witchkin. (Just made that up. Did you like it?)

Of course we roasted the seeds. We also roasted the seeds from a butternut squash we had for dinner the other night. Inspired by Andrew's sister's boyfriend (follow me?), who is a chef, we went gourmet. We divided the seeds into four batches and ended up with the following delicious combinations (combinations IS a word, stupid spellcheck! Gosh!):

*Traditional salt and butter (made with sea salt for kicks)
*Curry and Chile Powder (these were gone in about ten minutes)
*Honey and Paprika (sounds kinda gross, but was delicious. trust me.)
*Olive oil, garlic, basil, rosemary, chopped parsley, sea salt, cracked pepper, a blend of parmesan, romano and asiago cheese and bits of pepperoni

That last recipe was Andrew's creation. What a show-off.

Trick or Treat, ya'll.

14 comments:

Hillary said...

um, the pizza-flavoured pumpkin seeds are my new boyfriend
hands off

Kyla Bea said...

Ooooh my goodness, I was going to pitch all the seeds from tonight's carving Extravaganza and this has changed my mind.

I'll report back with deliciousness.

Anonymous said...

awesome pumpkin. you and andrew are crazy kids making gourmet seeds :)

Maris said...

The pumpkin seeds sound so good! I had no idea that you could roast butternut squash seeds too.

And what a fun pumpkin design!

Lisa-Marie said...

Your pumpkin is a thing of beauty!

Lauren said...

Woah. That's an AWESOME pumpkin!

ÄsK AliCë said...

Love the pumpkin!!

Pumpkin seeds are soo good roasted mmmm, I'll have to try the honey/paprika combo, it sounds delish! That combe that Andrew made up sounds exactly like something my ex would have done - mmm!

sarah marie p said...

that pumpkin is totally bad-ass! And those pumpkin seed flavors are way too cool! yummm I want some!

Pretty Unfamous said...

So which were the best??

Anonymous said...

wow, that last pumpkin seed recipe sounds kickass.

hope you had a smashing halloween! ;)mpr

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great Halloween! Love your pumpkin! :)

Mega said...

That is impressive.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i am VERY impressed with that pumpkin!

Anonymous said...

How did you guys manage to carve that gorgeous pumpkin and not slice your hand open?

I can never do it without getting hurt.