Sunday, October 5, 2008

Why I've been a stranger

Hi. Do you remember me? I know it's been a while. I'm sorry. Really. But I have a few good excuses prepared as to why I've neglected my blog for a few days. I will present my excuses in list-form, as I know you all appreciate a good list.

1. Not many people can say, "Since the market has collapsed, I've been so busy at work!" Not many people... except me. I guess this means I'll have job security for a while. My phone will not stop ringing.

2. How do you expect me to blog when I'm busy with dinosaurs? Andrew and I went to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History this weekend with his parents. For his dad's Christmas present last year, the kids chipped in to adopt him a dinosaur bone. This Saturday was the first time he got to see his Stegosaurus vertebrae in person.




Jack R. pictured at the excavation site of the Stegosaurus Dinosaurus Maximus in 1865.



Not only did he get to see his dino bone, but I found my new favorite dinosaur. Um. It has feathers. How cool is that? It is yet unnamed according to the exhibit, but you can see it below along with an image of what it might have looked like when it roamed the Earth. You know, before that big meteor hit the world and drastically changed the eco-system leading all land-dwelling creatures but a few birds to demise? (Yeah, I learned a lot!) If anyone is looking for gift ideas for me, I wouldn't mind having this feathered dino named after me. The Mermandasaurus. Has a nice ring to it, huh?



Mermandasaurus pictured with name-sake, 2008.


I also got to pay a visit to my original favorite dinosaur, the pterodactyl. Aren't we a cute couple?





Mermanda tries out her Blue Steel with long-time companion, Pteradactyl Joe.



3. I celebrated the 250th Anniversary of the city of Pittsburgh. See? That's really important. I might not be around for the tricentennial. And even if I am, I doubt I'll want to sit in two-hour traffic to watch $1 million worth of fireworks. With fireworks being set off from 17 locations around the city, it was the biggest fireworks display in U.S. history (unless I made that up. Just pretend, m'kay?)




Fireworks are better when shared with a glow-stick.
(Photo Credit: Sidney L. Davis/Tribune-Review)



4. I drank The Best Pumpkin Beer Ever. Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale. So good when it touches your lips. A perfect blend of pumpkin and spice and ale. (You didn't know I was such a connoisseur of beer, did you? Just full of surprises today.)

5. I got caught up on my reader. Phew! You kids can sure blog like there is no tomorrow.

So what do you say? Do you forgive me?

Say yes and I'll throw in a bonus blog at Oh! How Lovely!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If there's one thing we do well in the 'Burgh, it's fireworks. I'm kind of bummed to have missed those.

Ben said...

UM HAI.

You are all kinds of cuteness. Thought you should know.

Anonymous said...

i used to love pterodactyl, i was obsessed with dinosaurs when i was little. weird i know. mermandasaurus has a nice ring to it :)

Not Tina said...

The Pterodactyl is totally my favorite dinosaur. I've even gone as far as trying to imitate it when I'm drunk sometimes. It's really frightening.

Lauren said...

I. Love. Dinosaurs.

I'm mean, seriously. I totally want someone to buy me a dinosaur bone. The problem would be that I'd want to keep it. I'd want the dinosaur pinkie or whatever and frame it in my room. And when people come over I can go, "oh that? Oh that's just my dinosaur bone."

I'd be the coolest person on the block.

sarah marie p said...

That dino has some cool feathers! And you and that other 'saur do make a lovely couple. How cute! Hmmm pumpkin beer sounds interesting!

Kyla Bea said...

#1 - You make dead giant lizards look good. I think I saw one of them eying your haircut.

#2 - Pumpkin beer?! Didn't even know that existed, I think I have a mission, thanks lady!

Good luck with work, that one sounds a little hard to manage. If it would help I'll drive to the US and make another trip to target. just say the word.

Heather said...

I had no idea you could "own" a dinosaur bone!

Maris said...

First of all YUM to the pumpkin spice beer. I must try that! And your dinosaur pictures are so cute! Next time, just make sure you're photographed in your gorgeous new coat :)

Beth said...

Totally forgiven.